Wednesday 7 August 2019

SRI LANKA

                                     
                                                               SRI LANKA

I left the "Land of Hornbills" in search of hornbills, so thought I would try Sri Lanka. Leaving on July 21, 2019 I headed east via AirAsia to go and see what Sri Lanka had to offer. Flights to there had been rescheduled as less people were flying due to the Easter bombings, but I was not to be deterred and wanted to support the people of Sri Lanka. The flight from Kuala Lumpur to Sri Lanka is a short three and one half hours long, just enough time to snack on the plane and have some shut eye before touching down.I was welcomed by a polite, smiling immigration officer who welcomed me and told me to have a pleasant visit. Leaving him I spotted this nice welcome by Buddha.
^^ Beautiful statue of Buddha ^^
                             ^^  I have seen lots of gift shops at airports, but never appliances ^^

Clearing immigration I made a quick trip to the money exchange and than out to find my ride to the near by homestay, the Airport room. This is a quaint little house had surprisingly large guest room and shower and I can honestly say, a very comfortable bed. The hosts were a joy to meet, both having a good sense of humour and  made me feel very welcome.
Large enough for a single guy, asked the owner if anyone was going to join me.
^^ Sitting area ^^
^^ Shower and toilet ^^
                                                                    ^^ Sink ^^
The view in the back of a tutuk at 5:00 a.m.

After a good nights rest I was up at 4:30 to shower and find my tuktuk ride to the station in Kurana for the 6:00 a.m.commuter train to Colombo. Should have gone to Temple Junction to board there, for there were no vacant seats left on the train, but at least I staked out a good spot by the door of the train and got the benefit of the breeze blowing in.
                                                  ^^ Colombo Fort Railway Station ^^
The train arrived at Fort Railway Station approximately 7:15 a.m. and I was told that the one going to Galle would be leaving at 8:30 so I had time to find some water and breakfast.

                                                     ^^ Roti and not sure of the others ^^

 Walked around a bit after eating and then off to platform no.5 for the train to Galle. It was fun watching the hustle and bustle of the trains and the commuters, nice that I was in no hurry to head off some where.

                                      ^^ Coming and going of trains at Fort Railway Station ^^

The train to Galle was a little late departing, leaving at 8:40 a.m., but that was alright, I was in no hurry. I had bought a ticket for second class, which has two coaches, but only a handful of people embarked, so I could sit where I pleased. (Note)If you're doing this rail trip to Galle, make sure you're in second class and that you sit opposite of the side you boarded on. This way you'll enjoy the views of the ocean as you head south to Galle. It's a short trip, lasting just shy of three hours, but it's so relaxing with so much to see and take in. The clickity clack of the wheels on the rails and the swaying to and fro of the car seem to have a most soothing affect almost lulling me to sleep. There are vendors that embark at various stations along the way selling food and drink, but as a precaution I would pack drinks and snacks for this journey. It was for me a great experience, I really did enjoy that. Arriving in Galle was almost disappointing meaning I would now have to disembark.






Maybe facing the wrong way. I like my chair to face the water
^^ Scenic shots along the way to Galle ^^






No comments:

Post a Comment